Monday, January 28, 2013

Stay At Home Gardener

Because I've been on the job hunt, a lot of my time is spent at home. I spent my days combing the web, tweaking my resume, and filling out applications. I decided that I needed a hobby - something that could make my days a little more interesting.

So a little while ago, I got the notion in my head to start an herb garden. I've always wanted one and now that I command my own kitchen it seemed time to find out if my thumb is green.

After much research on tips and techniques for indoor gardening, reading blogs about others with an herb garden passion and what they created, I decided it was time to start. I made a list of the kitchen herbs I most wanted based off of my use of them in recipes and took a field trip to Home Depot. I explored the entire garden section - I picked out cute pots, rummaged through the seed display, found the right soil, and then put all of what I collected back and decided on an herb garden kit!

Why have a huge bag of soil laying around when we are still not officially moved in? [side note: I'm taking my time, plus storage space in our apartment is very limited]

It was a match made in heaven.


Doesn't it look cute? I am growing Basil, Cilantro, Parsley, Oregano and Chives. I can't wait until they start sprouting!

Scott just laughs at me and how I'm caring for these little plants. I consider myself a mother now and I have five children that require constant care and attention. I worry about their water intake (Are they getting too much? Not enough?). I worry about the amount of sun they need.

Oh this is just so exciting. Expect garden updates once the baby seeds begin sprouting!

No comments:

Post a Comment